MS-ISAC ADVISORY NUMBER:
Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player Could Allow For Remote Code Execution (APSB13-16)
Vulnerabilities have been discovered in Adobe Flash Player that could allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe Flash Player is a multimedia application for multiple platforms.
Successful exploitation could result in an attacker executing code on the vulnerable system. Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Failed exploit attempts will likely cause denial-of-service conditions.
- Flash Player 11.7.700.202 and earlier versions for Windows
- Flash Player 11.7.700.203 and earlier versions for Macintosh
- Flash Player 188.8.131.525 and earlier for Linux
- Flash Player 184.108.40.206 and earlier for Android 4.x
- Flash Player 220.127.116.11 and earlier for Android 3.x and 2.x
- Large and medium government entities: High
- Small government entities: High
- Large and medium business entities: High
- Small business entities: High
Home users: High
Adobe Flash Player is prone to vulnerabilities that could allow for remote code execution. The update provided by Adobe resolves thirteen memory corruption vulnerabilities that could lead to remote code execution.
Attackers can exploit these issues to execute arbitrary code in the context of the affected application. Failed exploit attempts will likely result in denial-of-service conditions. Successful exploitation could result in an attacker gaining the same privileges as the logged on user. Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Update Adobe Flash Player on vulnerable systems immediately after testing.
- Users of Flash Player 11.7.700.202 and earlier versions for Windows Update to version 11.7.700.224
- Users of Flash Player 11.7.700.203 and earlier versions for Macintosh Update to version 11.7.700.225
- Users of Flash Player 18.104.22.1685 and earlier for Linux Update to version 22.214.171.124
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.
- Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by attachments and hypertext links contained in emails especially from un-trusted sources